maandag 18 mei 2009

Jagger en Escher

In 1969 schreef Mick Jagger een brief aan M.C. Escher met het verzoek een afbeelding van hem te mogen gebruiken op zijn nieuwe album. Die brief begon als volgt:

Dear Maurits,

For quite a time now I have had in my possession your book [Graphic Works of...] and it never ceases to amaze me each time I study it! In fact I think your work is quite incredible and it would make me very happy for a lot more people to see and know and understand exactly what you are doing. In March or April this year, we have scheduled our next LP record release, and I am most eager to reproduce one of your works on the cover-sleeve. Would you please consider either designing a "picture" for it, or have you any unpublished works which you might think suitable...

Escher antwoordde binnen een paar weken met het volgende, gericht aan de agent van Jagger:

Dear Sir,

Some days ago I received a letter from Mr. Jagger asking me to design a picture or to place at his disposal unpublished work to reproduce on the cover-sleeve for an LP record.

My answer to both questions must be no, as I want to devote all my time and attentions to the many commitments made; I cannot possibly accept any further assignments or spend any time on publicity.

By the way, please tell Mr. Jagger that I am not Maurits to him, but

Very sincerely,
M.C. Escher